Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh the Places You'll Go

"There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction." Winston Churchill



True, but how do you go about knowing which direction is the right one? For a very long time we have been told where to go. Sure, we had a bit of influence, but at the end of the day we were still handed a piece of paper that stated: "Congratulations, you are moving ______." Quite frankly, I enjoyed NOT making the decision. It allowed me to escape any kind of blame for the city we found ourselves in. Now, after 14 years (WOW) we get to pick. Obviously some places will and are off the list, because they lack a job or my total unwillingness to move anywhere that is too cold (ie Chicago). And, there is a good chance we may just stay put. We are happy here and so are the little people. But, I am curious. I could see myself setting up a house in my beloved New Orleans, or heading a little further east. The Northwest is rather lovely and is, in fact, a closer distance to family. I'd always move back to Utah, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the finality of Utah.

And then- researching schools, where to live, moving, etc.. yikes. I'm a little too lazy for all of the things this might require. Also, learning a new city, where to get the best fresh baked bread, do they have fresh mozzarella like my favorite local grocery? New church friends, new neighborhood friends, new school friends, new... I'm getting much less curious. I guess in the words of Rosanna Cash (she hasn't to say something worthwhile when she has Johnny's blood running through her):


"The key to change.. is to let go of fear."

8 comments:

Amy said...

The thing about being an adult is that you have to make adult-sized decisions. Bother.

Hammy said...

You can go anywhere you like, as long as I live there too.

Tiffany said...

Utah is my choice! How about a small town that grows lots of apples and cherries?

Heidi said...

Go back to Utah so I can see you! At least that is what I'm pulling for for our family. You know you'd always have a place to stay if you don't end up moving back. Good luck with all of these decisions. I know you guys will make the one that is best for your family, but can't wait to hear what that might be!

cathy said...

So it's decided, you are staying here! I'll make that decision for you, you're welcome!

Melanie said...

I can totally see you guys back in NOLA....

Tasha said...

The finality of Utah. That's how I feel & haven't found the words.

Mitchell Family said...

San Diego. I should email you a weather report every day. And then you'll be convinced.